Without doubt pizza has always been our ‘go to’ guilty pleasure. Oven roasted tomatoes with layers of melted cheese, toppings galore, thin and crispy base – what is not to love? Over the years our awareness towards this delectable dinner has changed. A wheat allergy and a conscious decision to nurture our bodies with nutritious and healthy choices forced us to re-look at the way we tantalise the taste buds with this fav dish. Introducing the chia seed pizza base. In short, the ‘chia’ answers to our pizza cravings. Can’t help but share the love … you can thank us later 😉
Ingredients for chia pizza base. Toppings we will leave to your own creative discretion.
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, chia seeds, baking powder, salt, basil, and garlic powder.
- Pour in the oil and warm water, and use a spoon to mix it together
- Put the mixture on a clean, floured (almond) surface, and knead it until a dough forms, about 2 minutes. Use a floured (almond) rolling pin to make a large circle.
- Spray a pizza pan with cooking spray, and place the dough on the pan. Roll in, and pinch the edges to form a crust.
- Cook crust for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the dough looks dry.
- Add your favourite toppings, and cook for another 8 to 12 minutes.
Image and Recipe courtesy of http://www.popsugar.com